Brussels sprouts with chard and Kielbasa in a mustard cream sauce
This is the perfect fall dish for a busy weeknight. It's easy to make and packed with flavor. The earthy chard balances the spice of the mustard and kielbasa wonderfully. Give it a try!
- Onion (white or sweet yellow), diced (1/4 cup)
- Garlic, minced (2 cloves)
- Brussels sprouts, halved (10)
- Swiss chard with stems, chopped (3 or 4 leaves)
- Tomato, diced (1 plum or roma)
- Kielbasa, cut on the bias into 1/4" slices (2 links)
- Heavy cream or half-and-half (1/4 cup)
- Coarse Dijon mustard (2 tbsp)
- Olive oil (2 tbsp)
- Fennel seed (1 tsp)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper (optional) (1/2 tsp)
- Cilantro (optional) for garnish
Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, fennel seed, and cayenne (if using) to pan. Stir frequently and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add kielbasa, Brussels sprouts, and chard stems. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the sprouts turn bright green. (If the bottom of the pan starts to look dry, add a little more olive oil.)
Turn down the heat a touch and add the tomato, chard, cream, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper and stir to incorporate all the ingredients. Simmer for another 5 minutes until sauce starts to thicken.
Dish into bowls, garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve with a hunk of crusty bread.
Now you made it, don't forget to take a Cooksnap photo to upload below! Recipe authors always LOVE to hear from you and see how their recipe turned out in your kitchen.